Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Stuff on My Desk Right Now

Before I begin, I should define my audience, just as I have my students do. My audience is me. I know I learn best when I read and then reflect, and this blog will simply be a reflection of what I have been reading professionally. I do wonder if others will stumble upon the blog, a thought which I find a bit intimidating, but, for the most part, I consider me, myself, and I the bulk of my audience.

So- first up from the pile: The English Teacher Quarterly from August 2008. (I will never claim to be current on my professional reading!)

Sarah Groenky and Lisa Scherff pose these questions: "Do today's English leaders address the current political, social, and economic realities of public schooling? Of life in the English classroom? Are today's leaders active change agents or fearful bureaucrats who simply implement what they are told? We sometimes wonder." This hit a chord with me in my leadership capacity. I organize effectively, and I often take school policies and initiatives at face value. Am I becoming a bureaucrat?

Teachers do want leadership not management. As a department chair, I need to keep an eye on leadership- not just management. The authors suggest a book that may help: Literacy Coaching: A Handbook for School Leaders.

An article from Leslie David Burns that follows reminds us all that we cannot afford to standardize good teaching. Some teachers "adopt strict personas, for example, while others assume nurturing styles. Both types take on these styles as manifestations of caring, and both lead students to high standards of learning." As we make aspects of our curriculum more common (a necessary step to ensure similar experiences and to push skill development), we must not trap our teachers. The strengths and abilities of teachers must not be lost, and teachers must not cease to feel valued and recognized.

The next article, "No Child Left Behind and Teacher Quality: Improving Professional Development through Inquiry Groups" by Ellen Spycher touches on one aspect of my job: being Learning Resource Coordinator. There is a list of attributes that adult learners value:
  • Knowing the value of the new knowledge.
  • Being in control.
  • Building on their myriad experiences.
  • Recognizing teachers come prepared to learn.
  • Having material life-centered or task-centered.
  • Keeping in mind how they are motivated.
Just like other learners, we need to scaffold on previous learning and provide opportunities for active learning. None of this is new, but I like being reminded.

In all, this one issue of English Leadership Quarterly made me reflect on my leadership. As my school continues to grow, the role of Department Chair will need to grow with it, and the role of Learning Resource Coordinator is complicated enough. I want to lead, not manage. I just need to learn better how.

No comments:

Post a Comment